Thursday, March 17, 2011

On Taking a Sick Day from Work

Pre-Story: I took a sick day from work today...read on.

Story #1:
I very rarely take a sick day from work. I have this weird complex that I feel like I shouldn't take off work or school unless I am really really sick. Like, bleeding from the head and vomiting uncontrollably. Whenever I get sick and need to take a day off of work Nick has to convince me... no FORCE me to stay home. Even when I feel sick. Nick says that if you take a sick day when you're feeling pretty sick that you are actually saving the company money by a: not getting others sick and b: not getting so sick that you have to then take multiple days off. Sounds logical. Whatever, Nick.

I always feel that if I can walk and talk then I can also go to work. After much debate, I stayed in bed this morning. I turned over and thought I fell asleep for 20 minutes when I actually woke up two and a half hours later.

I have this other complex where if I take a day off of work then I need to do all of the things that I don't have time to do during the normal work week. Such as, cleaning, wedding planning, organizing the fridge, laundry. You know, the essentials. I feel super guilty if I have to run an errand. I think to myself If I am well enough to run this errand then I am well enough to be at work! But, I think that's kind of crazy. I just had a 24 hour bug, not tuberculosis!

So after waking up at 10:30 this morning Le sighhhhhhhh I decided that I needed to clean and do some wedding planning. I walked from the bedroom to the living room (I live in a tiny apartment) and I was BEAT. I had to sit down and rest. I sat on the couch and watched How To Train Your Dragon. Double sighhhhhhhhhh. After watching the movie I decided I wanted lunch, but then decided that I was way too nauseated to eat anything. After making that decision, I needed a major nap. Seriously guys, I was feeling like poo. So I made my way to bed and took a 3.5 hour nap.

So to sum it up. My day consisted of two naps and a kids movie. So much for cleaning or getting anything productive done. I complained to Nick when he came home from work that I didn't get anything done to which he replied, "Good for you. You actually experienced a SICK day."

Story #2:
I very rarely take sick days. I don't always think this is the best idea, but I get SO BORED when I sit home alone all day. I can't just have a whole day to do nothing at all.

I got foot surgery last year and I had to stay home from work. I got so bored 2 hours into sitting at home that I remoted into work and finished editing a manual, while I was taking pain medication. I only took one day off of college for being sick and it was because I had pink eye and my professor wrote me an email saying "Please don't come to class and spread your pink eye." He had a point.

I took a sick day today because I woke up with a fever, sore throat, and nauseated tummy. I set my alarm for an hour longer than my normal wake up time and got up to start my day. Although I felt like roadkill, I had a very productive day. I cleaned both bathrooms, swept the kitchen floor, and did 4 loads of laundry. I sat down and watched an hour of TV and then got up to fold the clean clothes. I even went to CVS and got some Subway for lunch. I had dinner cooked by the time Nick got home. What's up, June Cleaver?

Now I am super exhausted and still feeling bad. I know it was dumb to do all of that housework, but tomorrow is Friday and I am looking forward to resting on the weekend. Nick got mad at me because I didn't technically take a "sick day." He argued that I just didn't go to work and slept in for an extra hour which made me feel super guilty. Hey Nick, I thought you were my fiance, not my mom!

Highlight the text after the star to reveal which story is true * The true story is story number one. Although it is tough for me to relax even on a sick day, I felt so awful today that my only option was to sleep and watch kids movies. I am thankful though. I am feeling much better tonight. Ok I will give Nick credit. He was right about taking a real sick day. Also, apologies for this blog post being kind of lame. My creativeness was muted by Advil Cold and Sinus night time. Bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment