Monday, February 28, 2011

On Not Knowing the Words

Pre Story:
Nick often makes fun of me for not listening to the words of songs. That being said...

Story #1:
We have a tradition of listening to playlists on Grooveshark while we cook in the kitchen. Because I have been in very into my pop phase for some time now, naturally I chose to listen to Rihanna while we cooked dinner tonight. I was peeling the avocado for our guacamole and Nick noticed that I was having a private concert and getting down with some dance moves while singing in the corner of our kitchen. Because my back was to Nick, I did not notice that he went over to the computer and slowly started turning down the volume to try to get a listen to what words I was singing. Rihanna's Only Girl was playing and during the chorus, my interpretation went something like:

Jenna's lyrics:
"Want you to make me feel like I'm the only girl in the world
You make every moment feel like a blur
Like I'm the only one without your love
Only girl in the world la la la la"

ok... the real lyrics are:
"Want you to make me feel like I'm the only girl in the world
Like I'm the only one that you'll ever love
Like I'm the only one who knows your heart
Only girl in the world"

So I was way off and by the time I noticed that the music was lower than I remembered, I turned and Nick was mid laugh. He said, "you make every moment feel like a blur?!"

Whatever, Nick. At least my car concerts with me and my steering wheel are epic. I think he's just jealous of my American Idol chops.

Story #2:
Nick and I have been on a mini-quest for the perfect first dance song to dance to at our wedding. We want something unique but meaningful at the same time. We went to a concert a few months ago in San Diego at a small venue and watched a guitarist perform a beautiful song. We met with the singer afterwards and he signed our CD and I told him that we may choose his song as our wedding song. He was flattered, and the moment felt right. However, I am not 100% on the song at times because at the end of the song the singer kind of screams. A lot. I know it sounds bad when I describe it, but it's not terrible. Anyways, I am always on the lookout for potential wedding songs.

The other day I heard a song by the Avett Brothers that I had never heard before. I listened to it a few times and just fell in love. I imagined me in my dress, with my hair perfectly curled, dancing with my love surrounded by our family and friends. I played it for Nick last night. I was expecting the happiest of smiles, and maybe some snow flurries to come down in slow motion to the perfect beat of his delight. However, instead he made a sour face and said "What? The lyrics are depressing. You never listen to the words of songs." I realized that he was correct and I had not exactly listened to the lyrics so I started the song over and here were the lyrics:

"There’s a darkness upon me that’s flooded in light
In the fine print they tell me what’s wrong and what’s right
And it comes in black and it comes in white
And I’m frightened by those that don’t see it"

Ok, any wedding song that starts off with "darkness" in the first line cannot be too hopeful. Did I mention that the title of the song is Head Full of Doubt/Room Full of Promise. I guess it's not exactly wedding song material; but it's a pretty song to listen to nonetheless.


Highlight the text after the star to reveal which story is true * The true story is story #2. It's true that I tried to make our first dance a total downer for our wedding. My B. We're back to plan A for our song in case you're wondering. At least that song has the word "Love" in the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment