Sunday, February 20, 2011

On Credit Card Fraud + Adult Stores

Story #1:
The other morning at 6:00am I got a phone call from a number that I did not recognize. I was completely in the middle of my REM sleep so I had no problem ignoring the call. I forgot it happened until later in the morning I got another phone call from the same unknown number while I was at work. I answered and to my dismay, it was my credit card company explaining to me that they suspected fraudulent activity on my credit card. This was the first time that I had experienced this before, but the man on the phone was extremely helpful.

I have not used this particular credit card in a few months since I got my sweet new card that gives me tons of airline miles so I can fly home to Philly. The man said that the suspicious activity happened in New York. NEW YORKERS, I TELL YA.

I gave him all of the information he asked for, he canceled my card and told me he is going to send me a new one. I was glad to hear our conversation come make its way to the end until he asked one more question, which happened to be mortifying. He said "I just need to clarify when the last time you used the card. Was your last purchase on October 30th at Sinsations Adult & Novelty Store in my town, California?"

Mortifying.

Me: "Um yes. That sounds right." I knew I got my new credit card in the beginning of November. I considered explaining to him why I was in Sinsations, but at that point I just wanted to get off the phone PRONTO because my embarrassment was multiplying by the second.

I hung up and that was that. Credit card canceled, new card being sent, credit card man thinks I am a sex fiend.

Story #2:
The other day I received a phone call while I was at work that the credit card company suspected fraudulent activity on my card. Because this was on a credit card that I have not used since October, I was not terribly upset, but definitely frustrated nonetheless. I hate dealing with stuff like this. I have only been a part of the adult world (post college life) for two and a half years and when people start talking to be about credit cards and finances I sometimes just want to say "Um, I'll ask my Dad and get back to you."

The credit card man explained that there were six suspicious purchases from my card made in New York. Since I live in California and have not used the card in about four months, he told me something was strange. He proceeded to go through each of the six suspicious charges.

Credit card guy: Charge on February date for a huge amount at so and so ADULT NOVELTY store.

Me: No.

Credit card guy: Charge on February date for a huge amount at so and so adult novelty store.

Me: No, not mine.

Credit card guy: Charge on Charge on February date for a huge amount at so and so adult novelty store.

Me: UM NO.

(I started noticing a trend. Have you?)

Turns out that all six suspicious purchases were at various adult novelty stores in New York. I finally said "No sir, none of these are my charges. I am in California and have the card in my wallet so I definitely did not make these charges. I have never even been to an adult store."

He understood, asked a few more questions, and explained to me the next steps involved in the credit card fraud investigation. Before hanging up he had one more question. He said, "I just need to clarify when the last time you used the card. Was your last purchase on October 30th at Sinsations Adult & Novelty Store in my town, California?"

I almost choked on my horrified breath. I thought back to October 30th and what I was doing and why I was in Sinsations and I said "Um. Yes. That is my purchase. But the others are not. I promise."

He believed me. (I think) and explained that he going to begin the credit card fraud investigation, even if he thinks I am a dirty little liar.

Highlight the text after the star to reveal which story is true * The true story is story number one. And for CLARIFICATION as to why I was at Sinsations on October 30th (my mom reads this blog), I was a ladybug for Halloween and wanted to wear fishnet stockings. I couldn't find them at the mall so my friend told to try an adult store. She was correct and they were at Sinsations. I bought the stockings, tried them on at home, decided they looked a bit too hoochy mamma for my liking, threw them away and wore conservative leggings instead. Now that's the truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment